Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Day One: Dane to Monroe

The proposed route for my first day of Dane to Davenport will have me running just shy of 52 straight miles.  Because of logistics (and for some reason a completely booked downtown Madison, WI) I will have to finish my 52 miles of running, then drive half an hour north of Madison to grab a shower before I can drive back to Madison to go to my speech at Dream Bank.

The best part about this first day is that I get to run straight for 52 miles. I do not have to break it up with a speech in between or an obligation other than running.  The worst part is that I will be up at dawn to drive from my hotel to Dane (that never gets less weird to say or type) to start the running.

Unlike my 350 miler last year, a few more navigational problems could present themselves.  For virtually all of the Pacific Coast 350 I was on one road heading due north.  Here, I will be make a few turns, a couple of jaunts through parks and then some trail running next to the roads. As was the same with my 52 Marathons in 52 weekends, my 202 solo running of the American Odyssey Relay and last year's 350 miler, the actual physical endeavor is tough but not nearly as tough as the logistics.

The extended  forecast calls for decent temperatures (60s and 70s) but scattered thunderstorms.  I could do without the light show but one must make do with what they are given. I am sure, whatever the weather condition, I have run in it.

One week from today I will be done with the first leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment