Monday, August 5, 2013

6 Weeks Out - Adding Challenges

Hard to believe it is August already which means my little jaunt through the midwest is just next month. When I originally planned this adventure, I felt it would be challenging but doable.  Then I got a bad case of staph infection in my foot (MRSA) and wasn't sure when or if I would be running for the rest of the year.

I have been extremely fortunate to have had excellent care take of me and am feeling as spry as i have felt in years.  The foot is far from healed (signs of the staph keep rearing its ugly head) but it hasn't stopped me from slowly but surely getting the miles up again.

An opportunity to present as the keynote speaker at the GSSI (Gatorade Sport Science Institute) in Ecuador arose a few weeks ago. I would be presenting about some of the running I have done, how I have tackled challenges and why nutrition pays such a huge roll in those endeavors. I jumped at the opportunity and began the planning.  Then I noticed that I will be getting back around 11 p.m. on a Sunday.  I leave to start the Dane to Davenport around 6 a.m. the next day. So after being out of the country for a few days, I have approximately 4 hours to get my stuff together and go take on the D2D.

I won't say I wouldn't have it any other way as that would be a lie. But I do like the fact that given what I have put behind me in my past that I know lots of long flights preceding a 165 mile stage run which precedes a speech at the Quad Cities Marathon which preceded what will be my 146th lifetime marathon is something I can handle.

That's the difference between confidence and being cocky.  Knowing what you can do based on past experiences is simply acknowledging that you are able to put your best foot forward because something in your past shows you will probably succeed. The unknown portions are what make it exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment